6.02.2008

a need to stop the tackiness


I just keep thinking about that baby girl living with Becca. She might be 7 months old now. I keep thinking about the style of clothes I would buy her if she were ours...I find myself punishing myself by flipping through the baby racks at Target in a daydream. I gotta stop doing that. Am I psycho????? For now *sigh* I shop with an empty cart.

My sister-in-law and her mother seem to think that frilly, stiff, polyester taffeta dresses with fake velvet belts are pretty. They dress up my niece in that shit all the time and I just want to strip the child down and dress her in something not-so-tacky!

You should have seen the easter dress she was drowning in this year! Just for shits and giggles, they decided to put it on her 2 days before easter to see how she would look. I seriously thought it was a halloween costume! My instinct was to laugh... but then I saw their proud faces and I bit my tongue. I thought it was a Halloween princess costume!!! In the words of the dad in the movie 'A Christmas Story', she looked "like a pink nightmare!!" The top bodice part was a scratchy polyester with sequin "flowers" and bows. The bottom skirt part was layers upon layers upon layers of this netting shit. It was like, child beauty pagent tacky. "Ohhhh, you're sooo pretty!!!", they squealed. I bit my tongue and swallowed the little bit of puke erupting from my esophagus.

I would dress babies in cotton and calico prints....plain jane. But thats just me.

1 comment:

Rita said...

comfort and function. I hear ya. And I think it's crazy to start the gender stereotyping so early. Some girls naturally like pink frills, others feel they have to wear it to fit in.